Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe in "lucky" stores?

Topic closed. 227 replies. Last post 6 years ago by THRUST.

Page 4 of 16
PrintE-mailLink

If there are 2 stores and one sells a lot of big winners and the other doesn't, where do you go?

The "lucky" store cuz it's "lucky" [ 29 ]  [30.21%]
The other store cuz it's due for a winner [ 14 ]  [14.58%]
Whichever store is most convenient [ 53 ]  [55.21%]
Total Valid Votes [ 96 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Maybe I should have an alternate version of the question for those who seem to be offended by the word "lucky".

Here it is:

If there are 2 stores and one just happens to sell a lot of winning tickets to people who just happen to purchase the tickets at the right place at the right time according to the natural occurrence of events and timing and one doesn't, which one do you go to?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:31 am - IP Logged

tiggs discarted his vote..so sorry..tiggs buys at gas stations and not stores..lucky gas station..next question please..this is fun...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10344 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:37 am - IP Logged

jarasan,

It ain't my fault Oddball, I've had nothing but beautiful thoughts about that bridge all morning!

Moriariy, Kelly's Heroes

Since the question in the OP asks about belief in lucky stores and you insist there aren't any, how am I Moriarity, and not you?

I find it interesting that more and ore anyone who doesn't agree with you, regardless of the topic at hand, is "Moriarity".  IT'S A DISCUSSION BOARD!

Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to agree with them, or play quick pikcs, or hang outisde a sotr and make sure they are the 14th person to go to the lotto counter, but if they want to do that it's the Nunya rule.

L.L.

I did read your entire post, obviously you still fail to see how self-contradicting the whole statement is. In essence, "There's no luck, those people who bought the big winner just showed up at the right time".

So, someone goes to a lotto outlet, buys fifty scratchers straight off of a roll, the next person buys one and wins big, but oh no, that's not luck. Yeah, right.

rdgrnr,

Green laugh

I think we're getting to the point where someday soon when ESPN keeps showing a score like:

St Louis   16

LAD           0

A Dodger fan is going to call in and say, "Stop showing that score, it offends me."

(No flaming needed form Dodger fans, the teams were just arbitrary).

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:40 am - IP Logged

tiggs discarted his vote..so sorry..tiggs buys at gas stations and not stores..lucky gas station..next question please..this is fun...

I could make it "venue," "retailer," or "place of purchase".

Which do you find least offensive?

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:43 am - IP Logged

I could make it "venue," "retailer," or "place of purchase".

Which do you find least offensive?

This would be to confusing to tiggs..keep it simple ridge..like tiggs,simple..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:50 am - IP Logged

jarasan,

It ain't my fault Oddball, I've had nothing but beautiful thoughts about that bridge all morning!

Moriariy, Kelly's Heroes

Since the question in the OP asks about belief in lucky stores and you insist there aren't any, how am I Moriarity, and not you?

I find it interesting that more and ore anyone who doesn't agree with you, regardless of the topic at hand, is "Moriarity".  IT'S A DISCUSSION BOARD!

Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to agree with them, or play quick pikcs, or hang outisde a sotr and make sure they are the 14th person to go to the lotto counter, but if they want to do that it's the Nunya rule.

L.L.

I did read your entire post, obviously you still fail to see how self-contradicting the whole statement is. In essence, "There's no luck, those people who bought the big winner just showed up at the right time".

So, someone goes to a lotto outlet, buys fifty scratchers straight off of a roll, the next person buys one and wins big, but oh no, that's not luck. Yeah, right.

rdgrnr,

Green laugh

I think we're getting to the point where someday soon when ESPN keeps showing a score like:

St Louis   16

LAD           0

A Dodger fan is going to call in and say, "Stop showing that score, it offends me."

I guess I'm just lazy.

It's just so much easier to say "the L word" than all that "right time," right place," "natural occurrence" litany of psycho-babble.

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19813 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2010, 10:33 am - IP Logged

You know some lottery players think LP is a lucky website for players to hang out.  I'm surprised by the number of PM I get from other players who think I and other LP members have unique knowledge about winning lotteries.  They assume some of the most active LP members have already won their fortunes and now just hang out at LP to help others to do the same.  They believe they are hanging out with lucky players and some of their luck will rub off on them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: July 19, 2010, 10:34 am - IP Logged

jarasan,

Moriariy, Kelly's Heroes

L.L.

rdgrnr,

Green laugh

St Louis   16

LAD           0

More negative waves and bad reading skills, where did jarasan say there were no lucky stores....?  Where did jarasan  say anything about quick picks on this thread?  I have only beautiful positive thoughts about making your OWN GOOD LUCK & FORTUNE. 

Please Moriarity don't change the subject and show us where I said anything about Quick Picks on this thread,  stop making stuff up.

I know this is a discussion board but stop making stuff up.

Let me help you,  this is what I wrote:

"How about a little positive thinking?  Instead of "Hoping" to get into the wake of others' luck,  being a pioneer of winning ways at a particular locale that has never gotten the big one.  You know,  being the first "Big Large Powerful Winner & Collector of the Oversize check from Lottery Headquarters!  Right there in the store that just got $100K bonus for selling you the massive win."

And I am Custer? 

babyhot's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg
                  goldsboro
                  United States
                  Member #66887
                  November 9, 2008
                  1782 Posts
                  Posted: July 19, 2010, 10:54 am - IP Logged

I wonder though if there are people who pick their own numbers who still want to buy their tickets at the "lucky" place?

Anybody?

i pick my own ### 317 956 526 and other i play every day

good luck to all

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:01 am - IP Logged

i pick my own ### 317 956 526 and other i play every day

And which store would you choose, babyhot?

--Edmund Burke

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1646 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Hmmmm. Well, I do suppose that a store could, in fact, be LUCKY in that it may just receive more winning scratch-offs or sells that winning QP more often than a store LESS VISITED. So, this means that it must be all in the availability of the winning scratch-offs and how many tickets they actually sell. Better yet, the lottery officials take a tally on the flow of traffic through certain areas and place all the winning tickets in those stores!!!

Yeah, that's it!! They say, "Hey, we're gonna send that store the vast majority of the winning tickets so that more people will buy from it and call it the LUCKY STORE!!! This way, people won't visit the other small time UNLUCKY stores and develop opinions about them!!"

Wow!! The lottery officials can, in turn, target what store they want to make all the money on ticket sales. Sooooo, this means that the stores and the officials must be in cahoots with this whole deal, guys. Know what I mean? Wonder what happens when the LUCKY store has no more LUCKY tickets to sell and then another store begins to sell the LUCKY winning tickets???? Hey, wait a minute!!!! That means it must be in the AVAILABILITY of the winning tickets after all. If one store has more than another then, it runs out of LUCKY tickets, and then another UNLUCKY store picks up where the LUCKY store left off then the LUCKY-NESS simply transfers over!!!

It has nothing to do with the tickets!!! I figured it all out just that quick!!! Forget all that "right time", "right place", and " natural occurence" jazz!!! No such thing. I believe everything is LUCK...and that we're all LUCKY to be here on LP to partake in this LUCKY discussion. I'm LUCKY I can actually get that out without being UNLUCKY and biting my tongue!!! I'm just a LUCKY JIVE TIME TURKEY!! LMAO!!!

L.L.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22834 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Can I throw a wrench in the works?

Can you make your own luck? If so, is it still called luck?

If it isn't, does buying at the lucky store make it no better than the unlucky store?

Maybe it's all the same.

The only way I'd use the lucky store is for instants. If the store sells a LOT of winners, I guess I'd take a stab at buying there.

I woudn't do it just because of the higher percentage of winners, I'd do it for mass sales alone. The more cycling of losers, the better.

Big Smile

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Can I throw a wrench in the works?

Can you make your own luck? If so, is it still called luck?

If it isn't, does buying at the lucky store make it no better than the unlucky store?

Maybe it's all the same.

The only way I'd use the lucky store is for instants. If the store sells a LOT of winners, I guess I'd take a stab at buying there.

I woudn't do it just because of the higher percentage of winners, I'd do it for mass sales alone. The more cycling of losers, the better.

Big Smile

Be careful how you throw that "L word" around dr65, as you can see, it makes some people very emotional.

--Edmund Burke

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #74096
                            May 2, 2009
                            22834 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Be careful how you throw that "L word" around dr65, as you can see, it makes some people very emotional.

lol! I use that word everyday...it's a touchy subject, I know.

No Nod

Somehow using: GOOD SKILL today! or GOOD WORKOUT today! or GOOD THINKING today! doesn't give the same fuzzy feeling as:

GOOD LUCK TODAY!

Big Smile

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1646 Posts
                              Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I definitely believe in LUCK...it exists. I played Powerball and actually matched the LUCKY ball recently. No other numbers, just that one ball. No skill no nothing. Just LUCK and I know this for sure. I was LUCKY in another instance at another store and purchased (5) QP's on our regular lottery and got within (1)-(2) number of all the winners on one line.

I'm not uniformed and I know this was LUCK and I'll take it any time, any day, any where. However, this whole philosophy on LUCK is way over rated in the end. If LUCKY stores exist then every person that goes in should come out a winner...right???

I'm really trying here...

L.L.

Page 4 of 16