Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe in "lucky" stores?

Topic closed. 227 replies. Last post 6 years ago by THRUST.

Page 6 of 16
PrintE-mailLink

If there are 2 stores and one sells a lot of big winners and the other doesn't, where do you go?

The "lucky" store cuz it's "lucky" [ 29 ]  [30.21%]
The other store cuz it's due for a winner [ 14 ]  [14.58%]
Whichever store is most convenient [ 53 ]  [55.21%]
Total Valid Votes [ 96 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #92551
June 9, 2010
16 Posts
Posted: July 19, 2010, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Of course the minute I write that I only care about convenience - I ran into this story on Daily Times...

FARMINGTON — The best five dollar bill is one that turns into a $50,000 bill.

Farmington's April Lopez found Monday evening that her $5 "Crossword Doubler" scratcher was a winning lottery ticket. She bought the ticket at Giant Station No. 4 at 531 E. Broadway, where 11 other winning tickets previously have been sold. She was picking up barbecue goods for her family's dinner that night when she picked up the winning ticket.

"I told her not to get ahead of herself. I didn't want her to get too excited," said her husband Jose Lopez. April said she was jumping and screaming at the news of her winnings and hopped in the car that same night to catch her prize.

"They broke into a big smile, and they were as sweet as can be," said New Mexico Lottery Spokeswoman Linda Hamlin. "I meet winners every single day, and it's amazing that they all have a different story."

The couple's first splurge was on their family's first "real" vacation. They took their three children to Albuquerque this week to tour amusement parks and the city's zoo.

"They were definitely thinking of their children first," Hamlin said.

Afterward, the couple will fly, just the two of them, to Las Vegas. They recently celebrated a wedding anniversary and would like to spend some extra time together. And then they plan on paying off the bills.

Granted, the Lopez family, and other winners, are not the only benefactors of this program. Since 1996, the New Mexico lottery has helped with the state's educational funds. All net proceeds go to education, raising more than $442.7 million for education in New Mexico.

Today, all money raised goes to the Legislative Lottery program.

"Students and parents have thanked us because they haven't had to put themselves in financial peril," Hamlin said. "(Students) said they wouldn't even have been able to go to college."

As of late, 61,000 have received legislative lottery scholarships; 3,200 of those scholarships going to students in San Juan County.

"I think of it truly as a tremendous community resource," Hamlin said. "The state doesn't expect them to pay the money back. I'm proud to be part of the program."

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
    Nova Scotia
    Canada
    Member #9934
    December 27, 2004
    884 Posts
    Posted: July 19, 2010, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

There is a store that I go to sometimes that has a wall full of lottery winners.. More than a  few jackpot winners and other prizes. I have wanted to be the next winner from there, and I am still waiting..I Agree!

United States
      Member #85338
      January 13, 2010
      143 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2010, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

(1)  i completely stay away from stores that have "won alot". 

not because i believe that their "lucky"  (or maybe their "luck" has run out),  and there isn't enough "luck" left for me.........but because i would steer away from a store that had already experienced "winning".   which leads to #2...

(2) i always target a store that i sense could use the attention a lottery win would provide,  aka "mom & pop" type small stores,  vs big corporation connected venues.

corporation stores (like BP really needs a "win") already have enough dead benjamins to go around,  so no need lining their stock averages.

i like to think of what i would do,  for someone that really neded it,  and target them thusly.

(3)  it don't believe in lucky stores. 

i do however believe in "providence",  which is different than luck.

"dumb",   or otherwise...

I agree and pretty much follow the three tenets you list...especially #2 (spread the wealth),......but I add a couple of more points....

4.) I try to vary where I purchase my tickets so that I am not easily remembered or known as a regular.  I would not want someone to say "yeah, I think it was this guy who comes in and is about x yrs of age and drives a "*" car and comes in every Friday at 3:02 pm......."  There are plenty of mom and pop places where can be inconspicuous.

5.) If the person is courteous and wishes me luck, I will go back at a later date. I usually buy my tickets on an advance draw and go out of state because the bordering state allows for anonymity.

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
        Redwood City,California
        United States
        Member #70503
        February 3, 2009
        200 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter where you go to get your lottery ticket.I generally buy my lottery ticket at a gas service and convenience store.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
          light on my feet
          United States
          Member #356
          May 20, 2002
          2744 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2010, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

I agree and pretty much follow the three tenets you list...especially #2 (spread the wealth),......but I add a couple of more points....

4.) I try to vary where I purchase my tickets so that I am not easily remembered or known as a regular.  I would not want someone to say "yeah, I think it was this guy who comes in and is about x yrs of age and drives a "*" car and comes in every Friday at 3:02 pm......."  There are plenty of mom and pop places where can be inconspicuous.

5.) If the person is courteous and wishes me luck, I will go back at a later date. I usually buy my tickets on an advance draw and go out of state because the bordering state allows for anonymity.

i realize in this rediculous overboard politically correct world we have steamrolled toward,  that the following statement isn't gonna fly right with some.......but transparent as i be........i could care less (as God knows my heart)...

i have yet to see any white person go into the store i purposefully target to buy my 1QP.

and that's part of the reason i do go there,  because i realize how that store would benefit from what my destiny is,  based on demographics not exactly lending itself to the wealthy fat-headed crowd.

i could just as easily target another "mom and pop" store,  whose "clientele"  is more like me.

nope.   standout as i be,  i purposefully go where my heart knows it will extract the most benefit.

i already accepted that the lottery will only provide 'mimimal anonymity'.

certain aspects (for me) are not supposed to be 100% anonymous,  because it ain't just about me anyway.

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

United States
            Member #85338
            January 13, 2010
            143 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2010, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

i realize in this rediculous overboard politically correct world we have steamrolled toward,  that the following statement isn't gonna fly right with some.......but transparent as i be........i could care less (as God knows my heart)...

i have yet to see any white person go into the store i purposefully target to buy my 1QP.

and that's part of the reason i do go there,  because i realize how that store would benefit from what my destiny is,  based on demographics not exactly lending itself to the wealthy fat-headed crowd.

i could just as easily target another "mom and pop" store,  whose "clientele"  is more like me.

nope.   standout as i be,  i purposefully go where my heart knows it will extract the most benefit.

certain aspects (for me) are not supposed to be 100% anonymous,  because it ain't just about me anyway.

I've purchased tickets in back country out of the way places and the small, rundown mom and pop convenience store in the worst part of downtown. In either place, regardless of race, I still would want them to get that retailer bonus. I have walked into the back country places and the run down places in a shirt and tie after work....looked like a fish out of water in both places so I know what you are talking about. 

The anonymity part for me is to protect those that are close to me that would suffer from the "butterfly effect."  I could handle my own, but could they?  i guess by not being a regular, I wouldn't want someone to id me before I had a chance to get the house in order.  There have been stories where retailers could almost guess which person may have purchased the winning ticket......

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10347 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2010, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Before they were bought out by 7-11 there were stores in the Chicago area called The White Hen Pantry and they sold an inordinate amount of Little Lotto jackpot winning tickets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                light on my feet
                United States
                Member #356
                May 20, 2002
                2744 Posts
                Posted: July 19, 2010, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

for me,  i know i can get my house in order,  and high tail it outta town to give myself some breathing room for the "intials".

the wave of those that intially come after you,  bringing their wheelbarrows with them

after that,  for me,  i know there is a certain amount of "non-anonymity" that is part and parcel of my life.

i am fine with that.

it would be completely selfish of me to hide such an incredible gift on some remote island all by meself.

not me,  i am called to give all aspects of my life away,  or i will lose it.    it would slip right thru my fingers over time

that will also entail being 'accessable',   as part of it all.

but,  a L.O.N.G.  time ago,   i added an extremely valuable word to my vocabulary ------->  NO

i have chameleon lottery skin syndrome.    one day,  i need "thick skin".  the next day,  mr generosity.  fade in.  fade out

the monkey's off of my back pre-event,  because it ain't my job description to fix everyones life / problems

that's WAY above my "pay grade"

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                  Member #88435
                  March 16, 2010
                  397 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:02 am - IP Logged

I go to the store with the hottest cashiers. Green laugh

They make me feel "lucky". Wink

$1,000,000

Pick3forSC's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                    North Carolina (West of Charlotte)
                    United States
                    Member #1436
                    April 28, 2003
                    628 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:06 am - IP Logged

When i find a hot cashier in Kings Mtn. NC, i'll probably buy a ticket from her, but for now the hunt is still on...lol  ooooops sorry,  for me it will be a "she" for the ladies, the choice is yours.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:07 am - IP Logged

I had a feelin there was a choice missin on the poll!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                        Member #88435
                        March 16, 2010
                        397 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:09 am - IP Logged

When i find a hot cashier in Kings Mtn. NC, i'll probably buy a ticket from her, but for now the hunt is still on...lol  ooooops sorry,  for me it will be a "she" for the ladies, the choice is yours.

The grocery store I use to work at has a few hot young ladies working the customer service desk where lottery tickets are sold.

They are really sweet girls too. Smiley

$1,000,000

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

"I realize in this ridiculously overboard politically correct world we have steamrolled, that the following statements isn't gonna fly right with some.......but transparent as i be........i could care less (as GOD knows my heart)..."

Usually when a person tell's me GOD knows their heart, I find it's to make excuses for their wrong doings, as I speak to them about the gospel!!   

But coming from you Vision, I know it's not so, and it is the right forewod, for a person like yourself, who is not a  pleaser of man but of GOD! So I must tell you that in this context I just...

Love your Introductory Statement

LOL..Hahhaha...I am loving this statement!!   

Quotable quote for me! and Statement of the year!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                            Panama
                            Member #73078
                            April 4, 2009
                            3490 Posts
                            Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Orange Powerade Zero doesn't work in case anybody was running out to get some. It's good for hangovers though if you've been to one of your cheapskate friends' houses and all they had was cheap booze. I always bring my own just in case (booze, not powerade).

Hahahahaha...LOL..rd, and I have a feeling those Starbucks coffee either...well it works for starbucks!!! 

I am not standing on lines to buy numbers...tiggs is right,  it's silly stinking thinking!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                              Panama
                              Member #73078
                              April 4, 2009
                              3490 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who waits in a long line to buy a lottery ticket is just dumb...oh wait it's New York...also anyone who buys a cup of coffee for 4.00 or more is just dumb...oh wait it's New York......................:)..tiggs opinion before you lose your temper..Be cool...

"...oh wait it's New York...."

Tiggs,   You are right!!!LOL...LOL.. it is crazy zany New York!! expect to see any thing!!Shocked Smiley

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Page 6 of 16