"Lucky Larry" may have a shot to win millions more — this time from a jury.
A judge has ordered a trial in a lawsuit filed by Iowa lottery winner Larry Dawson, who contends a $9 million jackpot that he won in 2011 should have been nearly three times as big.
Dawson filed his lawsuit in 2016 after an investigation revealed that lottery contractor Eddie Tipton rigged the previous $16.5 million jackpot, bought the winning ticket himself and unsuccessfully worked with associates to claim it.
Dawson's lawsuit against the Multi-State Lottery Association and the Iowa Lottery contends the $16.5 million should have carried over to the jackpot that he won under Hot Lotto's rules.
Judge Carla Schemmel ruled earlier this month that the association and the lottery are not immune from liability under state law. She says that a "full hearing of this matter" is required to sort out the complex case.
The case is set for trial Dec. 2.
Timeline of the biggest crime in US lottery history
The following is a compilation of Lottery Post news coverage chronicling the Hot Lotto mystery and subsequently discovered crime.
We start the timeline with a news story indicating that only 3 months remained for the $16 million Hot Lotto jackpot to be claimed.
- Deadline for claiming $16.5M Hot Lotto jackpot nears, Sep. 21, 2011
- Unclaimed Iowa lottery jackpot to expire Dec. 29, Dec. 1, 2011
- Iowa $16.5M Hot Lotto winner claims prize with two hours to spare, Dec. 29, 2011
- Iowa Lottery security chief bent on determining identity of jackpot winner, Jan. 10, 2012
- NY lawyer in lottery mystery travels to Iowa this week, Jan. 17, 2012
- Iowa Lottery security chief to grill NY lawyer over Hot Lotto ticket, Jan. 17, 2012
- Representative of Hot Lotto winner named in lawsuit, Jan. 20, 2012
- Hot Lotto trust representative won't name winner, Jan. 20, 2012
- Iowa Lottery threatens to deny jackpot payout if winner stays anonymous, Jan. 23, 2012
- Lawyer gives up $14 million Iowa lottery ticket claim, Jan. 26, 2012
- $14.3 million Hot Lotto prize claim withdrawn, Jan. 27, 2012
- Iowa Legislators satisfied with Lottery's handling of mystery jackpot winner, Feb. 1, 2012
- Iowa Lottery to give away millions from jackpot mystery, Feb. 26, 2012
- Iowa Lottery director: 50-50 that Hot Lotto mystery will be solved, Aug. 9, 2012
- Iowa officials trying to solve lotto mystery, may release surveillance video, Aug. 19, 2012
- 1 year later, Iowa Lottery still hunting for suspicious no-show winner, Jan. 30, 2013
- Inquiry in Iowa Lottery mystery touches Canada, Jul. 26, 2013
- Lottery jackpot probe heats up after immunity deal, Oct. 8, 2013
- Iowa Lottery still hunting mystery Hot Lotto winner [video], Oct. 10, 2014
- MUSL employee arrested in Hot Lotto jackpot mystery, Jan. 15, 2015
- BOMBSHELL: MUSL employee might have rigged Hot Lotto computerized drawing, Apr. 13, 2015
- Texas man charged in Iowa lottery case contests extradition, Apr. 20, 2015
- Extradition trial begins this week in $16.5M Hot Lotto fraud case, Jun. 7, 2015
- Inside the biggest lottery scam ever, Jul. 7, 2015
- Trial underway in world's biggest lottery fraud case, Jul. 14, 2015
- Lottery security chief: Rigging computerized game "sadly" possible, Jul. 15, 2015
- Prosecution rests in Hot Lotto trial, Jul. 16, 2015
- Defense quickly wraps up in Hot Lotto trial, Jul. 16, 2015
- Hot Lotto case moves to jury for deliberations, Jul. 17, 2015
- Former lottery security employee guilty of rigging $14.3M drawing, Jul. 20, 2015
- MUSL security worker who rigged drawing gets 10 years, Sep. 9, 2015
- HOT LOTTO DRAWING CHEAT CHARGED WITH RIGGING MORE JACKPOTS, Oct. 9, 2015
- Texas authorities had previously investigated brother of lottery cheat, Oct. 14, 2015
- Another $1.2M Hot Lotto jackpot rigged by Tipton, officials say, Nov. 21, 2015
- Jackpot-fixing investigation expands to more state lotteries, Dec. 18, 2015
- Prosecutors say Tipton rigged two jackpots he purchased tickets for in Kansas, Dec. 21, 2015
- Maine gives names of Hot Lotto winners to Iowa team looking into rigging scheme, Dec. 23, 2015
- S.C. Lottery assures public no computerized drawings used in state, Dec. 23, 2015
- Kansas lottery players questioning game's integrity, Dec. 23, 2015
- MUSL CHIEF OUSTED OVER JACKPOT-RIGGING SCANDAL, Dec. 23, 2015
- Lottery scandal unlikely to affect New Mexico, official says, Dec. 26, 2015
- Tipton granted delay in next trial until July, Dec. 29, 2015
- Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich to answer lottery player questions live Monday evening, Jan. 11, 2016
- First lawsuit in state lottery-fixing scandal seeks millions, Feb. 4, 2016
- MUSL seeks to dismiss lawsuit over rigged jackpot, Apr. 1, 2016
- Lottery scammer's brother facing criminal charges, Apr. 6, 2016
- Investigators find Tipton's software code to rig computerized lottery drawings, Apr. 7, 2016
- Lottery rigging scandal prompts security audit in South Dakota, Apr. 13, 2016
- Preliminary hearing rescheduled for Tommy Tipton in lottery rigging case, Apr. 22, 2016
- Third suspect surrenders in national lottery rigging scandal, Apr. 28, 2016
- Lottery scam investigation comes to Tennessee, May 11, 2016
- Investigators find another friend of Tipton who cashed rigged lottery prize, May 11, 2016
- Convicted computerized drawing fraudster argues Iowa court appeal, Jun. 16, 2016
- US Senate panel demands info in lottery scandal, Jun. 22, 2016
- Lottery rigging trial to be moved out of Des Moines, Jun. 27, 2016
- Eddie Tipton's new trial delayed until 2017, Jul. 1, 2016
- Iowa court reverses part of Tipton's lottery fraud conviction, Jul. 28, 2016
- Internal investigation concludes Tipton acted alone to rig lottery drawings, Aug. 10, 2016
- Prosecutors say 2 more men may be linked to lottery riggings, Aug. 24, 2016
- Judge: winner's lawsuit in lottery-fixing case can continue, Oct. 13, 2016
- Alleged lottery scandal conspirator to enter new plea, Nov. 14, 2016
- Accused lottery rigger Eddie Tipton facing new Wisconsin charges, Dec. 22, 2016
- Man files lawsuit over rigged lottery jackpots, Jan. 4, 2017
- Trials for Tipton brothers charged in lottery scandal delayed, Jan. 8, 2017
- Former MUSL official received severance amid lottery jackpot scandal, Jan. 10, 2017
- Texas man pleads guilty to fraud in lottery scandal case, Jan. 11, 2017
- Iowa Supreme Court hears lottery rigging case, Feb. 14, 2017
- Kansas files lawsuit against accused lottery rigger, Mar. 16, 2017
- Best friend to testify against Tipton at July lottery rigging trial, Mar. 31, 2017
- Mastermind of lottery fraud will explain how he rigged jackpots, Jun. 12, 2017
- FBI missed rigged jackpot in 2006 before lottery scheme grew, Jun. 19, 2017
- The 5 lottery jackpots Tipton and his friends stole, Jun. 20, 2017
- Lottery jackpot rigger's Iowa convictions dismissed, Jun. 23, 2017
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Tipton pleads guilty to rigging computerized lottery drawings, Jun. 29, 2017
- Lottery rigging accomplice used Wisconsin payout for offshore tax scam, Jul. 6, 2017
- Hot Lotto multi-state lottery game to end in October, Aug. 9, 2017
- Lottery rigging mastermind sentenced to 25 years in prison, Aug. 22, 2017
- Winner sues Colorado Lottery 12 years after rigged drawing, Oct. 5, 2017
- Lottery scammer rigged more drawings than first thought, records show, Feb. 19, 2018
- How a gaming geek with a checkered past pulled off the biggest lottery scam in U.S. history, Mar. 16, 2018
- Infamous lottery scammer says US computerized lottery drawings remain fatally flawed, Mar. 19, 2018
- Iowa Lottery wins International Gaming-Compliance award for work in lottery rigging investigation, Apr. 19, 2018
- The man who cracked the lottery, May 3, 2018
- Memo: Iowa Lottery kept selling games after security warning, Aug. 1, 2018
- Investigation finds lottery scamming Tipton brothers have repaid virtually nothing, Dec. 27, 2018
- Lawyers seek to depose lottery fraud mastermind in prison, Jan. 21, 2019
- Iowa lottery lawsuit granted class action, affecting 7.2 million tickets in 19 states, Jan. 28, 2019
- Colorado man who unwittingly split a $4.8M jackpot with scammer is fighting the Colorado Lottery, Apr. 15, 2019
- Lottery-scamming brothers avoid asset seizures by transferring property to their mother, Apr. 29, 2019
I'm kind of ambivalent about this. He got a nice chunk of change; why line the pockets of attorneys and you might not win. The Judge seems to be inclined to grant him his wish, though I'm sure the lottery involved has high powered attorneys @ their disposal. I know some LP members are legal experts, my concern is could he be sued for slander or is the proper word libel???
Slander and libel are particular forms of defamation, which means to make false statements (written or spoken) about a person or group that harms their reputation. What false statements has Lucky Larry made about the lottery? Saying that the lottery was rigged is an established matter of fact. Saying that because it was rigged he should win more money is his opinion, and will be decided by the courts. The lottery harmed its reputation all on its own.
Excellent points there that I didn't consider. Good luck to him.
Years before retiring, our competitor hospital was sued by patients through Attorneys stating they got MRSA from the hospital. It has been a community acquired infection for years. That hospital, like mine, has high powered Attorney's on their staff. Well tables got turned and those Attorneys got sued for defamation.
If Eddie doesn't rig that draw, he doesn't win it, and the jackpot rolls, to where Larry Dawson would have won that money.
It doesn't matter that he won 9 million. He should have won what Eddie stole too.
For starters it's obvious the drawings were rigged and only one combination had a chance of winning the jackpot. Because one ticket had the winning numbers the jackpot was lowered for the next drawing and that's is basis for the lawsuit.
IMO a problem with Dawson's case is it can't be proved had the jackpot rolled without the cheating, he would be the eventual single ticket winner. But it will be simple to prove the lottery was negligent in providing fair drawings. And there is the question of what they did with the prize winnings.
In this world you have to be a fighter in order to get what's yours!
I will be very honest. He does not deserve a penny. The only reason he won is because of Eddie . If Eddie did not program he would have lost. So he needs to thank Eddie . $9 million is a lot of money to win in a game people never had a chance 😂 if Eddie knew there was a parasite trying to steal $9 million from is secret number combination eddie would have changed the numbers lol
Dawson won after Eddie rigged the drawing, but you may be correct if the lottery can prove Eddie rigged all future drawings. But I doubt they'll even try because that would destroy their credibility and open the door to more lawsuits.
There was $millions spent trying to win a Hot Lotto jackpot and Dawson picked his own numbers to win.
He and his wife started playing Hot Lotto about three months ago after reading a book that claimed to have the secrets to winning the lottery. He followed the recommendations, which included buying 19 plays for each drawing to cover all the Hot Ball options.
At least he stuck with the system long enough to give it a chance.
But he said he was beginning to doubt the book's advice just before he won.
Spending $38 on two draws a week gets old after three months and why Dawson was about ready to hang it up. I'm more interested in the system then the lawsuit.
Brilliant and down to earth common sense answer. I can always tell the "real legal experts" on lp who provide short common sense answers that all members can understand vs long quasi legalese sounding opinions copied off the internet.
There is a defense that the state can raise and possibly support with statistical data (at least enough to negotiate a settlement). Had Eddie not won the fraudulent drawing, the jackpot would have rolled over and been much greater in subsequent draws. However, the greater the jackpot, the more tickets sold. If the jackpot had been millions higher, the state would have sold more tickets and there could have been a winner earlier than Larry's win. It is a bit of speculation, but I'm sure the state can find some expert to testify to it.
Sounds like "Lucky Larry" may have run through the bulk of his 9M already and now needs more and this might just be an easier way to get it than playing the lottery again?
I hope not because Lucky Larry is a financial adviser.
Lucky Larry better hope that the jury they empanel are not sore lottery losers. They could figure that Larry got lucky in the past, why add more to his windfall. There are lots of bitter folks out there. Ex wife, ex gf who offs the ex because “ if l can’t have you, no one can.” It’s a jungle out there.Let’s hope that the luck Larry lives by, can see him through these trying times.
Larry may get lucky again but I also see the tables turn around on him if they stastic expert say that might have not won at all if the jackpot rolled over and lottery decides to rule his win disqualified due to the tampering of the machine I hope not but they could then take back his win.
We will see how the lottery plays the numbers game come Dec.
Personally I hope he wins and the lottery pays out triple + lawyer fees.